Sunday, July 30, 2023

Pterodactyl - My First Welded Sculpture (2023)


After many years of carving timber, I'd been thinking about giving welding a go. So I borrowed a friend's MIG welder and decided to experiment with a simple idea: an NZ Pterodactyl drawn in mid-air using nothing more than No. 8 wire and a wooden base.

The realisation that I wasn't carving material away, but instead building it up, hit me straight away! I found myself drawing in three dimensions, bending and welding each line into place. I could even undo sections to get the size and proportions just right. It was completely different from carving, and I loved it immediately (apart from the smell, haha!). I was also able to use my familiar angle grinders, which made the transition feel surprisingly natural.

This little sculpture isn't about perfection. It's about discovering a new medium, and I can't wait to see where it takes me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment